S-901 Manip Like A Girl: Work Smarter Not Harder
Not just for girls, this course is for anyone who wants to learn how to treat patients larger than themselves. Have you learned manipulation skills in class but struggle to integrate it into your clinical practice? Do you avoid using these techniques on your patients because it hurts your hands? Do you have difficulty performing manual therapy techniques or manipulations on patients larger than yourself? If you want to learn how to handle patients larger than yourself and do it with more efficiency and effectiveness then this is the course for you.
This course will emphasize ergonomically efficient manipulation techniques. We will teach you that speed and body mechanics, not size, dictate how well you can manipulate.
Upon completion of this course, participants should be expected to:
- Understand the current definitions associated with manual therapy interventions found in both the “Guide to Physical Therapy Practice” and the AAOMPT “Description of Advanced Clinical Practice”.
- Interpret language specific to the use of thrust joint manipulation by physical therapists in State Practice Acts and Statutes.
- Describe the current evidence-informed theories supporting the use of thrust joint manipulation therapy interventions specific to the joints to be treated – including the clinical prediction rules.
- Safely, and selectively, with the ability to deselect appropriate candidates, apply thrust joint manipulation techniques to the spinal joint utilizing safe, efficient, and all source evidence-informed interventions:
- Interpret the responses to treatment, and modify the interventions to accommodate individual requirements of patients/clients and the physical therapist, including consideration of the unusual presentations of patients/clients and therapist and the physical challenges associated with manipulation.
This course is 1 day on-site and 3 hours online. Participants will receive an e-link to online coursework 2 weeks prior to the course and to the onsite course materials 1 week prior to the course. Please watch for these links in your email inbox.
Instructor: Stacy Soappman, PT, DSc,PT, COMT, FAAOMPT